jueves, 9 de febrero de 2012

Jim Ward from At The Drive-In and Sparta invite us to visit El Paso


Two years ago I had the chance to talk with Jim Ward, lead singer and rythm guitarist for Sparta and Sleepercar and co-founder of At The Drive-In, band that recently announced their reunion.

Today I want to share an extract of the interview I published on Spin Earth TV. Jim Ward, a free spirit musician, talks about his passion for music, the places you have to visit in El Paso and the food he loves the most. 




Sandra: I saw you when you played with Sparta at El Circo volador (an underground venue in Mexico City). It was in 2005 and I still have some of those moments fresh in my mind. Do you have any special gig that you still remember?

Jim: There are special shows for certain reasons. Usually it envolves a friend or loved one being there or some certain happy or sad news I heard before we played, those are things that stand out. Playing right before the Pixies and Radiohead at Coachella on the main stage is one of the stand outs. I was proud we (Sparta) pulled it off, against so many people not knowing us and waiting for The Pixies reunion, we held their attention and I am proud  of that.

Sandra: Do you want to be in a mainstream band and play in the biggest venues or you feel more comfortable and happy being in the underground scene, doing your thing, playing what you want no matter the money?

Jim: I will play what I play no matter the money or crowd size, but it’s quite nice to have big crowds that love your songs.

Sandra: What is more exciting for you… to be on studio recording or to play live?

Jim: It is both for sure. I love creating and sharing

Sandra: You’ve been experimenting with lots of different sounds in your career as musician. Is there any style you feel more confident with or you haven’t found it yet. Maybe it depends in the personal mood you are?

Jim: Well… I can scream with the best of them. I am trying to learn how to do other things . I am comfortable with big and loud, but want to be comfortable with more than that.

Sandra: I know you also write a column for the site www.visiteelpaso.com How’s that?

Jim: It’s a good way to show good things about my town and other places to my friends in El Paso. I want to inspire people to do things.

Sandra: If I would like to visit El Paso, what things would you recommend to visit?

Jim: Scenic drive is a road that hugs out a mountain on the south. Go to the middle and take in the whole city. Go have a drink at The Tap, the best drive bar in El Paso, then come up to my bar (Hope and Anchor), have a drink and watch the sunset.

Sandra: Which are the good things to live in El Paso?

Jim: We have a small economy and it is frustrating that we lack money; there is an independence that I love about our people. I wish we were a little more confident.

Sandra: When it’s time to make a decision, you listen what your heart says or hat your head says?

Jim: Both. I would think.

Sandra: What do you like to do in your free time?

Jim: I like to explore.

Sandra: So you love eating, am I right? Is there any special kind of food in your list? I know mexican “chile relleno” is your passion. If you come to Mexico City again I would like to recommend you a restaurant that serves an amazing one.

Jim: I love eating. I want to write a book about chiles rellenos and burritos, they are my favorite. I obviously grew up with northern mexican food and I love it, but I am up for trying almost anything. I am vegetarian, so that limits what I will eat a little bit. Ok, I will take you up on the food in Mexico City.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario