martes, 17 de enero de 2012

Take an electropunk journey with Alice in Videoland

I would like to share the next interview that was published in Spin Earth TV, the website doesn't exist anymore, but I guess you would like to know this band called Alice in Videoland.

When I first heard "Cut the Crap" by Alice in Videoland (AIV) I instantly started to move my head and feet; then I found myself playing it over and over again, louder and louder in my room just because I felt the necessity to dance. I thought, this is music with energy and punk attitude. That's what Alice in Videoland is all about, good music coming from Malmö, Sweden that will make you jump into the dancefloor.


AIV is one of the finest underground swedish bands that mix electronic, industrial, punk and a little bit of well made pop to create a good cocktail of sounds. The band was formed in 2002 and had a massive response in the small clubs thay performed. One year later AIV showed to the people their debut album "Maiden Voyage", followed by "Outrageous!" (2005).

The members of AIV, Toril Lindqvist (vocals), Anders Alexander (drums), Johan Dahlbom (bass) and Dominique (synthesizer) presented in 2008 their third studio album "She's a Machine". Two years later, Dominique left the band and after a little break they released "A million thoughts and they're all about you" (2010).


Sandy: Could you tell me what does the name of the band is related to? I guess is something close about Lewis Carroll's book "Alice in Wonderland" but more futurist.

Toril: It's actually the name of a computer game. We needed some inspiration when we tried to come up with a band name, so we checked out a list of a computer games and saw: Alice in Videoland, and we thought "Hey that's it!" We liked it because it has a female touch mixed with a dreamy kind of 80's vibe.

Sandy: I first heard of you with your second album "Outrageous!" because a friend from Finland sent to me a link where I could listen the song "Cut the Crap", wich is really catchy. And now I love "She's a machine". Did you try to experiment with more new sounds in this album?

Alex: Yes, we like to think so. When we recorded "Outrageous!" we tried to keep it a bit more catchy and when we started working on "She's a machine" we wanted it to be a little bit wilder and more out of control.

When we made "She's a machine" we locked the studio door and bought enough wine and beer to keep us satisfied for a while and didn't listen to what anybody else had to say about it, the result was no particular influences. We just did exaclty what we felt was right at the moment. We wanted the song to be punky and we saved a lot of first takes.

Sandy: In Latin America people don't know too much about your music but I think they might be interested.

Toril: Well, in AIV we create music with a lot of heart on int. We're not trying to adjust to anything or anyone or any specific genre for that matter. We just like to do kick-ass music and great live shows everywhere.

Sandy: Hey Toril. How does it feel to be the only girl in the band? Do you remember the first time on stage?

Toril: It feels great! I'm not very girly and I've always hung out with boys instead of girls, so it suits me perfect. I'm not sure If I can remember the first time I was in front of the microphone... I've played in a lot of bands before but I'm sure I was so nervous I could have shit my pants.

Sandy: Is there any particular story behind a song that you like to share with the readers?

Toril: There is a story for every song. Take "Naked" for example, it's about break ups, when you don't want to get back together but you still want the other person to know what he or she is missing out on. The stupid games we play in relationships sometimes.

When I wrote "Radiosong", I had just been dumped by this guy and I was upset for a very long time. I was completely miserable and I got stuck writing about that. "Going Down" and "Panic" is about that sad personal period but those weren't the only ones. I drowned myself in self-pity and at one point the guys had just enough of me and my whining so they did exactly as I sing in the lyrics.


Sandy: What do you think about MySpace, Twitter, YouTube and Facebook. Does it help to promote your songs?

Toril: I think It's really good and it helps a lot of bands to reach out to the masses. So I have only good things to say about them.

Sandy: What's the best and the worst thing (if there exist any) to live in Sweden?

Toril: I really like the food here and the people. I don't like the winters and the music industry. Nowadays it's all about what's "in" and what is "trendy"; many people says "Oh! This is Cool" just because if they don't say it, the rest will not follow them. So, I guess I don't like the people either hahaha. everyone always follows what other people are saying, no one dares to have their own opinion.

Sandy: What would you be doing now if you were not part of Alice in Videoland?

Toril: I would be doing the exactly same thing I suppose.

Alex: I guess I would be famous in another band or I would be restoring classic american cars on a full time basis.

Sandy: Thank you for the interview and finally I would like to ask you which bands or producers would you like to work with in future?

Toril: I personally prefer Alex as a producer but it would be cool to work with Digitalism or bands like Skinny Puppy, Front 242 or Felix Da Housecat. We have already worked with Gabi Delgado from DAF and it was great.

Alex: I would like to make a song with Yeah Yeah Yeahs!




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario